Today I did this on my project...

• Lunar Engine v0.2.6 is out now! Download and check it out here. The map editor is also now fixed!

sekaru

Veteran
Veteran
Jul 3, 2018
Gold
Back to Just Pick It

Got a new live version up. Right now you can query the Google Places API to get data about restaurants/bars/clubs/cities/towns/etc and automagically add it to your lobby. I'll add support for just regular ole links soon. The cool thing with the Places api is you can just click on the image of the card and it'll take you to Google maps so you can use it on the go (as the kids say)

Screenshot 2018-09-07 at 21.54.27.png

Lil search place form:
Screenshot 2018-09-07 at 21.54.38.png

Reactions: Rob and SolidLink

Phenomenal

Aug 17, 2018
Gold
Back to Just Pick It

Got a new live version up. Right now you can query the Google Places API to get data about restaurants/bars/clubs/cities/towns/etc and automagically add it to your lobby. I'll add support for just regular ole links soon. The cool thing with the Places api is you can just click on the image of the card and it'll take you to Google maps so you can use it on the go (as the kids say)

View attachment 156

Lil search place form:
View attachment 157
Small thing but enter to search and generally move forward would be nice.

Reactions: Rob and sekaru

SolidLink

Jun 30, 2018
Canada
mmodivision.shivtr.com
Gold
Back to Just Pick It

View attachment 156

Lil search place form:
View attachment 157
I know I'm late on this, but this is Very cool!

Reactions: Rob

SolidLink

Jun 30, 2018
Canada
mmodivision.shivtr.com
Gold
I guess I'd share what I've been working on for the past couple of months :3

Screenshot_20181019-183140_Chrome.png

Tuber is an app, like Uber, you can find tutors very easily, it also shows you the directions too.

And quickly made a github page: SOLIDLINKS I know, it's not the best :p

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Veteran
Veteran
Jul 25, 2018
USA
www.IndieOrigin.com
Gold
I guess I'd share what I've been working on for the past couple of months :3

View attachment 168

Tuber is an app, like Uber, you can find tutors very easily, it also shows you the directions too.

And quickly made a github page: SOLIDLINKS I know, it's not the best :p
That actually looks really interesting, on the app store is their any other apps that do the similar finding of tutor's? I'm not big on my phone but I haven't heard of any. Looks awesome!

Reactions: SolidLink

Proxy

Global Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Gold
Poorly cropped, wah.

So I have my Indie Origin bot returning search result links.
!search keywordhere

Baby steps, its going places. The bot can also do conversions for Fahrenheit & Celsius etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

SkywardRiver

Legend
Legend
Veteran
Jun 23, 2018
Canada
Gold
Some minor hitbox issues I'll have to tune up, as well as adding visual effects for being frozen etc. Will probably make the "splash" stand out alot more too. Anyways, gal came over today, didn't get too much done. Skillshots are completely working though.

Reactions: Rob and Proxy

SkywardRiver

Legend
Legend
Veteran
Jun 23, 2018
Canada
Gold
New Eden Dev Log - June 24th

So! A *ton* of progress has been made lately for New Eden. I'll be trying to go over the majority of it while keeping it entertaining as I can to read.

Breaking the Grid
First on this massive list of progress would have to be the improvement to our mapping workflow. In the past, mapping for New Eden (and my previous games) has been monotonous and tiring. So much work had to go into the mapping to make them detailed and clean. What's more, the primary mapper on the project thus far has been myself, and as can be extrapolated from that one test map you guys have been subjected to in video after video, I'm not the greatest at it by a long shot.
So what can we do to remedy this problem? Well, by splitting our map tile sizes and properly formatting the game to accept them, we have our solution. I also reformatted our "autotiles" into compatible "terrains", giving them a much more diverse use. So what does this actually mean?
Previously on New Eden, and in my other games, we were locked to a 32x32 pixel grid for mapping. While this is all well and good for a title with Tile-based movement, if you try the same format in a pixel-based movement game, the "grid" becomes very apparent. You can't help but notice where the squares fall, and it can really start to take you out of the experience. *But*, when you split the grid to 16x16 and include the ability to use pixel offsets, now you have something much more fluid and dynamic. Especially for nature scenes!
Not only that, but now the ability to put fine detail into our maps and environments has become *far* easier. This was all done with little to no changes to the bulk of our established tilesets!
In summary, mapping will still be tedious for those who find it so, but never again will we have any excuse for bland, grid-like maps!

Enemy Design
Next, and possibly much more importantly, we come to enemy design and implementation. This has ever been a point of focus for this project, and I would have it no other way. With combat being one of the main pulls to the project, we wanted our enemies to really showcase what our custom, unique combat system can do. Enemies should never reach the point where they become monotonous or annoying. We want each and every fight in New Eden to be a unique "duel" of sorts, where you are managing your stamina, your poise, your combos, and blocks with a tender care. Think Dark Souls or Bloodborne in terms of gravitas when it comes to fighting.
So where to start with such a gargantuan task? We started with our base framework for combat and what I think makes it exciting: a "random" set of patterns. Each enemy can be assigned a set of attacks, with the ability to combo specific skills together to form a flurry of blows to both wear down your poise and your health. When coming to know an enemy in New Eden, you'll start to see it's "random" patterns. The random nature of these patterns stem from our use of semi-random attack selection. An enemy will select an attack from it's list when conditions are met at a semi-random chance. It then has a pre-assigned chance to combo into another attack or start it's pattern over again.
It sounds like a great bunch of nonsense when I say it like that, so I'll be showing you what I mean towards the end of this dev log with a video, also showcasing some of the other improvements to combat and enemy design.
In summary, enemies will use a preset group of behaviors and patterns, cycling through them in a partially random pattern as dictated by certain conditions being met or not.

Garden Spearman Duel
So in this little video I have a duel with one of the enemies in the first zone of New Eden: The Garden. (No, the map we're fighting in is not final haha. Simply a test map that I wanted to make a slight bit prettier!)
There's a few sloppy frames and a minor desync issue with the thrown windblade attack. Rest assured it's being worked on and fine tuned. This is just to give you guys a small basis with which to imagine future combat in New Eden!