Lunar Engine: A Ping From Somewhere Out In The Void

• Lunar Engine v0.2.6 is out now! Download and check it out here. The map editor is also now fixed!

John

Owner
Owner
Head Developer
Jun 1, 2012
www.rpgorigin.com
Gold
Username Change
Wow, has it really been a year since the last time I wrote a development blog on Lunar? Where even to begin. A lot has happened for me personally in the last year. I graduated university, landed a job 2000 miles away, and have really just been trying to figure out life aside from working on Lunar when possible.

I've been kicking the can on this post for awhile. Admittedly way too long now, actually. I suppose it's one of those things where you let it build, and build, and build until the very prospect of finally address the matter becomes to daunting to confront and then it builds even more, sort of like this weekend's dishes that are sitting in my sink right now.

I first and foremost want to ensure everyone that Lunar Engine is in fact not dead. A lot of progress has been made actually, but we still have a ways to go. I am happy to admit that we are finally entering a phase where it's starting to feel like a functional engine. The core is for the most part fleshed out, with a few adjustments needed yet here and there. Right now, a brunt of the remaining work consists of hooking up the various systems and components which currently exist within the codebase together to create, well, a functioning piece of software. If you've been watching the project's Github (which you can check out here if you aren't already) and following the code submissions over the last few months, this should already be apparent to you. One of the largest notable changes was the transition from Lua to Python as the scripting language used for content scripting (i.e., attaching a script to an item, npc, map, tile, spell, dialogue, etc.).

A more detailed explanation of this system, among others, will accompany the jump to Beta 1.0, which will be the next release and a huge milestone for Lunar and will mark the end of the Alpha phase, which admittedly has not been the most well structured. Expect Beta 1.0 by November 2019. In any case, I wanted to make this post to just kick things back off. Expect more from me in the not-so-distant future, and feel free to hang around the forums, which will also be undergoing a revival in the going forward.

Thanks,
John