Other Indie Origin June Code Jam

• Lunar Engine v0.2.6 is out now! Download and check it out here. The map editor is also now fixed!

John

Owner
Owner
Head Developer
Jun 1, 2012
www.rpgorigin.com
Gold
Username Change
Indie Origin Code Jam June 2019
So earlier today we tossed around the idea of doing a Code Jam. Some of you even offered to pay for prizes. That is awesome! I never thought it would get so hype so fast. So I wanted to make something not super complicated but not something to simple as well. So to conquer both, we will be making a Food and Drink recipe book. For the first Code Jam, I think keeping it inside of RPG Origin discord, would best for now.

Thanks to some organizing by our very own @TheCrzyDoctor, we will be hosting our first monthly code jam! If this is popular, we will continue to host code jams well into the future.

The theme for this code jam is Food & Drink Recipe Book.

Requirements
  • Must be able to create, load, and save recipes.
    • JSON or NoSQL data stores are suggested.
    • Must have the ability to attach image(s) to a recipe.
    • Must be able to categorize food and drinks by the categories found in the two different APIs. You are able to add more categories as you see fit.
      • Drink categories
        • Alcoholic
        • Non Alcoholic
      • Food categories
        • Beef
        • Chicken
        • Desert
        • Lamb
        • Miscellaneous
        • Pasta
        • Pork
        • Seafood
        • Side
        • Starter/Appetizer
        • Vegan
        • Vegetarian
  • Ability to add notes to recipes such as tastes, suggestions, etc.
  • Must be built with a GUI. No terminal or console programs.
  • Must have two distinct pages: one for food and one for drinks.
  • Must be able to link food with a drink and vice versa. Each food or drink should be able to have multiple linked items.
  • Must be able to pull from TheMealDB and TheCocktailDB for searching purposes.
    • API is free to use.
    • Must be able to display all information given from the API
      • Ingredients, images, the type of category, directions, etc. If it is in the json response, it must be displayed.
    • We will be using the test API key of "1" during this competition. @TheCrzyDoctor reached out to Zag (creator) before creating this document to make sure it was okay.
  • User should have the ability to save the queried recipes locally so they may load them later without having to search again.
  • Code must be Open Source and put up on GitHub: GNU GPL v3.0 license.
  • Must have documentation on how to use the application.
Judging

• The volunteer judges for this month are @John and @Nitrixr.
  • Each project will be scored by both judges. Each judge has a total of 25 points to award, making for a grand total of 50 possible points.
  • Categories for judging:
    • Ease of use: 5 points.
    • Meets requirements: 5 points.
    • Application well documented: 5 points.
    • Innovation: 10 points.

FAQ

Q: Can I add something unique to the Food/Drink Book App?​
A: Yes as long as you fulfill the musts above, you can make your application unique​
Q: Is there any limitations to the programming language?​
A: No! Use whatever programming language you want. Just before to make it runnable so others can test it.​
Q: How will the winner be decided?​
A: The judges have 25 points each to give a project. Once the final scores are tallied the highest score wins.​
Q: I have a question that is not answered here.​
A: Ask away in the Jam discord channel.​

Reactions: Rob

TheCrzyDoctor

Developer
Developer
Administrator
Veteran
Jul 3, 2018
Colorado
Gold
I was going to make my own topic for this but then I got lazy. So I'm going to post it here.

Thanks @Rob for the graphic! It will work well once I realign everything to the correct spot. I decided to go with borderless app. Don't worry there will be a exit button! So no worries on that. This is slowly coming together. The app will also now always launch in the middle of the screen. Yup figured out how to do that with kivy. It wasn't that hard actually.

newgraphics.png

Reactions: Rob

TheCrzyDoctor

Developer
Developer
Administrator
Veteran
Jul 3, 2018
Colorado
Gold
Did some rearranging of things. It is getting better. The left side where it syas welcome will be better formated and will be a nice welcome page. Buttons will be formatted better as well.

gettingbetter.png

TheCrzyDoctor

Developer
Developer
Administrator
Veteran
Jul 3, 2018
Colorado
Gold
Nope. I do have an animation like a page flip but its jsut the text fading from right to left and showing from right to left. If I have time I'll figure out how to make a flip of a page

Reactions: John